Xu Kecheng, a professor of food quality and safety at the College of Military Science and Technology, Jilin University, said that granular contaminated food can be partially removed by airing and cleaning, but if it is powdery food or feed, it is difficult to remove by the above method.
The Prevention for Food
Control the moisture content of grain under 12~13% to prevent mildew. Keep the grain and peanut shell intact. Use chemical fumigant to prevent infection from mold.
2. Hepatitis B patients should pay more attention to the prevention of mold in food
After aflatoxins enter the body, it mainly exists in the liver. Sheng Jifang, director of the Department of Infectious Diseases, the First Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine, said that the liver is the chemical plant of the human body. Aflatoxin has a destructive effect on human and animal liver tissues. Its toxic substances can directly affect the liver and can cause liver cancer and even death. Why does aflatoxin cause liver cancer? Shi Weiqun, director of the Department of Liver Diseases, Xinhua Hospital, Zhejiang Province, said that there is no precise mechanism to explain this at present, but aflatoxin can cause cell mutation, chromosome proliferation, and reduce human immunity. These damages increase the risk of liver cancer. In African and Asian countries, the risk of aflatoxin in primary liver cancer is close to 50%, which means that half of the liver cancer is caused by aflatoxin. At the same time, hepatitis B virus carriers with continuous ingesting aflatoxins are more likely to cause liver cancer. The incidence of hepatitis B virus carriers is 60 times than normal people, and China is the hardest hit area of hepatitis B.
3. Spit stinky melon seeds out in time
Hepatitis B or hepatitis B virus carriers must strictly limit the intake of aflatoxin, director Shi said. Every time he encounters such patients, especially the elderly, he will remind them never to eat moldy food, especially mildewed peanuts, corn, melon seeds, walnuts, etc. Even if you occasionally find moldy nuts through taste(such as stinky seeds), you should spit it out and gargle in time. Aflatoxin can accumulate in the human body, so you should discard the moldy nut immediately.
4. Try to eat less boiled peanuts
As a hepatologist, director Shi has a habit of never eating peanut butter, sesame oil, or even corn germ oil. The dried peanuts have less mildew and are easy to judge whether it is contaminated or not. If we eat a badly dried peanut, we will not continue. But If it is boiled, it is not only difficult to judge it’s quality, but also aflatoxin will also spread in the pot in cooking. Therefore, we have better avoid boiled peanuts.
5. Eat less moldy food and no need to worry too much
Although aflatoxins is carcinogenic substances, it is necessary to take a single dose of mildewed food containing a large amount of aflatoxin to cause acute poisoning. As to humans, chronic poisoning is more common in occurrence due to persistent sub-acute intake, which can cause cirrhosis and liver fibrosis. Moldy foods, corns, and peanuts that are contaminated with dust during transportation can also contain aflatoxin and harm humans. The accumulation of toxins in the liver, heart muscle, and muscle enhances its toxicity.
But as long as people pay more attention to prevention in life and insist on not eating moldy food, you can avoid the damage of aflatoxin in the body and do not need to worry too much.
How do you get rid of aflatoxin?
1. Washing method. This method applies to the detoxification treatment of seed feed. The method is from firstly grinding the moldy feed into crushed powder, pouring it into the tank, adding 3~4 times of water, stirring to soaking. And mix with water twice a day until the soaked water turns from brown to colorless.
2. Picking method. The method is to remove the moldy part of the feed. It can be applied to the detoxification treatment of straw and pellet feed.
3. Drying and detoxification method. This method is mainly used for detoxification of straw feed. The method is as follows. Firstly the moldy feed is dried in the sun, and then it is ventilated and fluffed to remove the spores of the mold. After the treatment, it becomes harmless and the purpose of non-toxic achieves.
4. De-embryo detoxification method. This method is mainly used for detoxification of corn because the toxin of moldy corn is mainly concentrated in the embryo part of the corn. The method comprises the following steps from grinding the corn into small particles of 1.5 to 4.5 mm, adding 5 to 6 times of water, stirring to washing. When the piece of the embryo is floated on the water surface due to lightness, and the corn needs to taken out or poured off with water. This need to repeat several times to achieve the purpose of de-embryo detoxification.
5. Lime water immersion method. This method is suitable for detoxification treatment of corn, sorghum, and other seed-based feeds. The method comprises the following steps from firstly pulverizing large-sized moldy feed such as corn into small particles having a diameter of 1.5 to 5 mm, mixing the lime powder after 120 mesh sieve into the moldy feed at a ratio of 0.8% to 1%, incorporating the lime, pouring the powder and water into the container at a ratio of 1:2, stirring for 1 minute, stand still for 5-8 hours, pouring out the water to rinsing with water for 2 to 3 times. The general detoxification rate can reach over 90%.
6. Heat treatment method. Under high humidity conditions, high heat or high heat and high pressure can destroy toxins. For example, the treatment of contaminated corn with 260°C can reduce the content of aflatoxin by 85%.
7. Alkali boiling method. This method is suitable for the detoxification of seed solid feed. The method is from adding 3 times of water per 100 grams of moldy feed, adding 500 grams of soda powder or 1000 grams of lime to cook together until the feed is cracked, cooling to rinsing with water that eliminates the taste of alkali. This method can be used at any time.
In summary, the method of picking out mold food is applied to treat with moldy peanuts, because aflatoxin peanuts is mainly found in peanuts that are mildewed, discolored, damaged and shrunken. Thus, the content of aflatoxin can be significantly reduced after being removed from these kinds of bad peanut by eye evaluation. Milling and watering are adapt to rice because toxins mainly exist in rice bran and rice surface. De-embryo detoxification is suitable for corn. There are two methods of de-embryo. The one is flotation with the steps from crushing the corn by about 3mm, adding water, stirring, simmering to removing the floating layer due to lighter embryo fragments. The other is the rolling method with the steps from rolling the corn to removing the outer skin and the embryo. Adding alkali to destroy the toxin is suitable for cooking oil. Other methods such as ultraviolet radiation, salt fried method, etc. have a certain effect on detoxification.